[TYPO3-mvc] extbase_pager usage.

Braulio J. Solano-Rojas braulio at solsoft.biz
Sat Aug 7 01:11:52 CEST 2010

Hello.

El 29/07/2010 02:34 a.m., Bastian Waidelich escribió:
> Braulio J. Solano-Rojas wrote:
>
> Hi Braulio,

> You will have to add this namespace declaration in every template file
> that uses the namespace. That might seem cumbersome, but it has some
> important advantages:
> - the template/partial is more explicit and easier to comprehend
> - the template/partial is re-usable
> - auto completion will (once) work even for custom ViewHelpers

On what IDE will that work?  Are you referring to this:
http://www.dev3.org/? (I haven't looked at it closely yet).

> Only the "f" namespace is pre-defined and can't be overridden.
>

>> IMHO, I think I rushed into using extbase. IHMO too, extbase is not
>> feature complete despite the version is greater than 1.0.0.
>
> The version number doesn't say anything about feature completeness
> (Windows 3.1 wasn't feature complete and I'm sure it still isn't with
> version 7 ;)

Well, I really think that for a 1.0 web framework there are some basic
features that are a must, like file uploading.  Of course that there are
some fancy features that are not required.  I also think that Microsoft
goals are very different from TYPO3 goals.  The former sometimes
releases for market and money purposes even if the product is not ready.

>> I've been having troubles with simple things...
>
> That's a pity.. But I'm sure, thats mostly the case when you start
> working with a new framework. We're trying to lower the barriers and we
> know, that we're not there yet. That's why it's so important to get
> feedback and constructive criticism from the community.

Thank you very much for being that understanding and embracing feedback
and constructive criticism.  :-)

>> [...] as a MVC framework it does not follow the convention over
>> configuration philosophy
>
> Could you give an example where exactly you're missing this?
> If you're talking about the fact, that you have to configure the
> extension in so many different ways and places (Annotations, TCA,
> TypoScript) I agree with you.. The reason for this is, that we had to
> embed this framework in the world of TYPO3 without breaking the existing
> conventions too much.

Well, you're already pointing to an example.

>> (too much code bureaucracy for my taste).
>
> An example would be great.
> If you're thinking about the need to properly annotate your methods and
> properties - I think, this is rather a feature of Extbase & Fluid.

For instance the fact that there are two layers for database
interaction: models and repositories is one example.  Having to create
members and methods for the models is another example.  If one starts
with code generation (the kickstarter) is not much a problem, but after
some point, every time one wants to change the model it starts to be
annoying (of course this is a subjective appreciation).  In other MVC
frameworks that uses the convention over configuration approach one just
have to add a new column to the table on the database to have that new
field on the model (unless specified otherwise).  It's very similar to
this:  http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/generationchapter.html .

I think that PHP is already a templating language, therefore why create
another (and learn another)?  In fact Smarty 3 has a new PHP mode that
let's one to write PHP templates.  CakePHP has also PHP templates,
helpers are just PHP objects and when a helper is not available it is
very easy to do what one needs (there is all the PHP functionality).  Of
course, some people will not like this and argue against it (therefore
maybe it is a matter of taste, however that does not eliminate the fact
that PHP is a templating language, a very good one).

I also think that some things should not need to be specified.  There
could be a fluid tag like <f:form.input property="x" /> that will just
render a tag according to the type of the of the property x (an utility
of all the configuration you mentioned above: TCA, etc.).

Hope my opinion will help for something...

>> If I get the pager to work I'll send an email.
>
> I didn't test the pager and I don't want to judge it at all. But be
> aware, that this is a community extension thus it might not be in sync
> with the current Extbase / Fluid versions.
> BTW: We're working on a nice approach for these "extended ViewHelpers"
> aka Widgets (see http://forge.typo3.org/issues/8773)

I'll look at that.

Best regards,

B.