[TYPO3-mvc] Feature #6165 - The repository's findAll() shall honour "default_sortby" defined in TCA

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Thu Apr 29 14:34:55 CEST 2010

Am 29.04.2010 12:46, schrieb Dmitri Pisarev:
> On 29.04.2010 13:47, Steffen Ritter wrote:
>> Am 29.04.2010 11:43, schrieb Dmitri Pisarev:
>>> I have come up to the obvious need - to sort all of my objects by title.
>>> And not only findAll but also findBy* and all of the other magic
>>> methods.
>>> When shall this feature request be completed and what shall I do while
>>> it has not been done?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dmitri.
>> Hey Dmitry,
>> this technically is not possible.
>> I already tried this.
>> the default_sortby does not contain the fieldname things like "sort by
>> xyz ASC, zyx, DESC" etc.
>> So This would have to be parsed splitted up and then used. SInce all SQL
>> is allowed in TCA at this point (dirty implementation) this nearly seems
>> to be impossible.
>>
>> regards
>> Steffen
> Hi Steffen,
> sorry, I didn't get why it is not possible to implement.
The query object would have to implement SQl Parsing... Furthermore
there would have been a "hidden" logic if automatic sorting would be
introduced via an not as sortfield defined string.

  Nevertheless,
> how to do it then? How to set the default sorting in any other way?
> Don't tell me I have to rewrite all of the repositories with my own
> findAll...

Well from which place should Extbase now how to sort it :) Even if you
define "date" or "composer" as default_sortby for your overview in
backend as default sorting, you will list them sorted alphabetically in
frontend.

Extbase automatically honours "sorting" since that just holds a field
name. the "default_sortby" ist just for BE usage in list view as the
"primary" sorting of the record list.
It applies nowhere else automatically. "piBase" Extensions or anything
else do not honour it too...
What might be possible is "sort by title" since this would be an unique
field (ignoring alternate_title and force alternate). But i think that's
not wanted at all too.

findAll is a "helper". But it's not useful in real projects...
Franz seid already the right about this topic: Own Abstract Repository!
The repository class was never meant to be class to use solely but as
base-class to extend.

Extbase supports Extensiondeveloping and quering quite well, it does not
replace the developer or brain-usage ;)

regards

Steffen