[TYPO3-mvc] Wondering about performance

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Wed Apr 28 11:38:26 CEST 2010

Hey Daniel,

> So you say there is nothing wrong with having the properties in the list
> view too?

nothing wrong there, as it allows more flexibility.

> If we were not programming with extbase we would just go and make a
> select query and get the 5 properties for list view. Then for single
> view we would make another query and select the 30 properties we need.
> Isn't this wasting resources right now?

If you're anxious to save resources, you wouldn't use a complex
framework like TYPO3 in combination with extbase anyway ;)
I don't think that those few kB of unused data do that much harm -
especially not on cached pages. But of course, if you're working on a
website with really high load and dynamic content, optimization like you
suggested might be worth the effort. But for regular usage I'm more in
favor of the flexibility "full blown" objects provide. In fact, how
would a template guy know in which template what properties of a product
are available if you use different product classes for every view?

And by thinking about having string/text fields lazy loaded, I think
those would create by far more overhead - just think of the additional
db query and the needed processing to tell extbase that the lazy loaded
property of the object is still not real modification (thus doesn't have
to be updated in the db).

So I think it's good as it is now.