[TYPO3-mvc] SOAP call using extbase

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Mon Apr 12 12:01:35 CEST 2010

Jochen Rau schrieb:

> But I did not say at any time that a developer never has to "worry again
> about a DB or the underlying systems".

Right, you didn't. But this is the message I got from the "v5 team". It could very well be that it
was never stated like that when they tried to advertise the idea of a repository (be it the pattern
or the JCR).

> On the contrary, it is crucial
> for a developer to understand the underlying systems (DB, file system,
> SOAP, whatever), to know about their pros and cons. Then, having this in
> depth knowledge, you should use the Repository pattern to abstract from
> the underlying system.

Full agreement.

> And what does this abstraction mean? It is not an "ivory tower"
> abstraction. IMO there are many advantages of this abstraction:
>
> 1) You can change the storage solution or the implementation of the
> Repository without touching the consumers code.

2) ??? :)

> 3) You can use domain language to query for Objects.
>
> IMO the first one is overrated. I never changed form one database vendor
> to another, did you?

Never. For me the whole point of DB abstraction is to be able to choose a system when you start your
project. Perhaps it can help if you may use Mysql/PosgreSQL (free) to do some local development if
the target system uses Oracle/SQL-Server (payware).

> The second one is the most important one. If I have already implemented
> a SoapRepository, I can solely focus on the domain.

I understand the purpose (of the third), I only doubt its a viable choice for most applications.
OTOH it could very well be that in your domain using SOAP from the repository pattern makes sense. *

Masi

* I guess we agree that the repository is more than a class with a get() and a find() method.