[TYPO3-mvc] Discussion: Storage Backend not compatible to DBAL

Jochen Rau jochen.rau at typoplanet.de
Mon Nov 30 04:43:12 CET 2009

Hi Jigal

Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> The ideal way is that there are no database queries made at all anywhere
> in the code, except in the specific database layer.

Full ack. In Extbase we don't have to use SQL statements to fetch
objects from the repository. (Although you can still use
$query->statement('SELECT * FROM foo')->execute() if you really really
want it).

>>> Why?
>>> 1. mixed envirenments would not be supported (as of DBAL)
>>> 2. table Mappings would not be supported (mapping feature of extbase
>>> works only within one database)
>
> Mixed environments would be a "cool feature", but I haven't heard of any
> company which wanted to store parts of the TYPO3 database in different
> DBMSs...

Don't restrict it to databases. You might want to fetch some objects via
a web service.

> For what I've understood of FLOW3 the implementation of a content
> repository eliminates the use/need of database queries in packages. Part
> of the purpose of extbase is to provide developers with a platform on
> which they can build extensions which can be ported relatively easy to
> FLOW3 packages for use with TYPO3 version 5.

Yes. The Query object implements the same interface as in FLOW3.

Regards
Jochen

--
Every nit picked is a bug fixed