[TYPO3-mvc] Discussion: Storage Backend not compatible to DBAL

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Wed Nov 25 18:41:39 CET 2009

Hi,

> First of all, please don't be offended by anything in this message; it's
> merely my opinion.

np :-)

> DBAL is by the way it works not a very good solution to me. Trying to
> convert queries made for one database system to another will give
> problems one way or another.
>
> This is clearly demonstrated by the wiki pages about how a developer
> should build queries to make them DBAL proof. The way
> t3lib_DB::listQuery() builds a list for checking fe_groups is very odd
> for someone who makes queries for recent versions of MySQL. The function
> FIND_IN_SET() [1] is a way simpler and more efficient way, but DBAL...

... has not yet implemented yet but will certainly (respectively "I will") if it becomes a should have. I'm about to add subquery support (yes, you read it!). I just hope it won't be that tricky :-)
as it is needed to make EXT:crawler work and thus have indexed_search works.

>>> Why?
>>> 1. mixed envirenments would not be supported (as of DBAL)
>>> 2. table Mappings would not be supported (mapping feature of extbase
>>> works only within one database)
>
> Mixed environments would be a "cool feature", but I haven't heard of any
> company which wanted to store parts of the TYPO3 database in different
> DBMSs...

Neither me except for personal project where I have "business" data in MSSQL but have the rest of TYPO3 in MySQL. I guess this configuration is quite common when using DBAL.

> For what I've understood of FLOW3 the implementation of a content
> repository eliminates the use/need of database queries in packages. Part
> of the purpose of extbase is to provide developers with a platform on
> which they can build extensions which can be ported relatively easy to
> FLOW3 packages for use with TYPO3 version 5.

Until TYPO3 v5 is not there, my opinion is to try to make DBAL (not Extbase) as compatible as possible with Extbase. I'm the first having fun with Extbase and as such I would like to be able to use it
with something else than MySQL too. I already wrote my own persistence layer to use partly DBAL, partly rvt_adodb to access a MSSQL database and it just works well. If DBAL support can be added
without too much of hassle and hopefully no change to Extbase, why not?

Regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en