[TYPO3-mvc] Major Fluid and Extbase update - non-backwards-compatible changes

Sebastian KurfŸürst sebastian at typo3.org
Fri May 29 00:08:03 CEST 2009

Hey guys,

I have backported many important changes since the DeveloperDays on
Fluid and Extbase. Some of these changes are NOT backwards compatible.

Don't be scared by this long list of changes, in fact I think this is
the biggest refactoring which changes lots of places especially for
Fluid ViewHelpers, but I expect this to be hopefully the last
non-backwards-compatible refactoring for a longer time.

The changes with the most impact are the following ones:
- The shorthand syntax for ViewHelpers is now available in Fluid v4 as
   well.
- if you used <f:format.htmlEscape> inside your Template, you have to
   remove this ViewHelper. It has been removed from Fluid. Instead, all
   object accessors {...} are automatically being HTMLEscaped.

The following important things change if you have written own ViewHelpers:
*  !!! The base classes of ViewHelpers changed to
    Tx_Fluid_Core_ViewHelper_AbstractViewHelper and
    Tx_Fluid_Core_ViewHelper_TagBasedViewHelper. Please adjust your
    ViewHelpers!
*  !!! $this->variableContainer has been renamed to
    $this->templateVariableContainer
*  !!! the view is not in $this->variableContainer anymore. Currently
    there is no way to fetch the View from a ViewHelper.
*  Introduced a new $this->controllerContext containing the context
    variables of the controller
*  !!! The request can be now found in
    $this->controllerContext->getRequest()
*  !!! The URIHelper has been renamed to URIBuilder and can be now found
    in $this->controllerContext->getURIBuilder()

Below is the full list of all changes which affect the API.

So, sorry for this big refactoring and for the hazzle you have with
updating! However, it should be quite smooth in most cases.

This is NOT yet in TYPO3Core Trunk. Either Jochen merges it the next
days (Hint @Jochen ;) ) or I'll do it in about a week.

I'm now on vacation starting tomorrow at 10:15 AM until next Wednesday,
so do not expect any answers from me in this time.

The full ChangeLog can be found at:
http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/revision/typo3v4-mvc/724
http://forge.typo3.org/repositories/revision/typo3v4-mvc/725

Greets from Dresden and good night,
Sebastian *happy that this is now done and Fluid/Extbase are in sync
with v5 again*