[TYPO3-mvc] naming issue: prefixedExtensionKey vs argumentNamespace vs prefix vs designator

Jochen Rau j.rau at web.de
Thu May 7 21:30:57 CEST 2009

Hi Steffen.

Jochen Rau wrote:
>> The extension name in lowercase is the same string as the extension
>> key without underscores.
>>
>> extension key: blog_example
>> extension name: BlogExample
>> extension name (lowercase) = extension key (without "_"): blogexample
>>

> confuse me anyway. extension name (correct extension title) could be "My
> universal and best ever extension", and the title normally is used only
> for display.
> Have a look to #10986 where a function is given for getting extensionkey
> from short form. Configuration should deal with the extKey only.

The extension name ist not the extension title. The extension name is
defined as shown above: Take the extension key, make all "words"
uppercase and remove the underscores. This is conversion is two-way.

In some cases (e.g. database table names and $_GET/$_POST argument
namespaces) the string should be lowercase (e.g. tx_myext_footable).

IMO the source of confusion is the existing guidelines: my_ext can be
converted into myext but not the other way around (can also be
mye_xt). That’s the only reason for the method getExtensionKeyByPrefix()
introduced with #10986.

It is advantageous to have no underscore in the extension key to
distinguish different parts of a class name: tx_my_ext_footable is
really hard to parse. but tx_myext_footable  (first part is the prefix,
second part is the extension and so on). And if you choose to have
UpperCamelCase you get: Tx_MyExt_FootAble (ah, the class handles feet
not tables ;-) ).

The Configuration is all done with $_EXTKEY and plugin.tx_myext.xyz = 123.

If you are still confused: lets have a glass of wine and a piano at the
T3DD09 an we will cope with that ;-)

Regards
Jochen