[TYPO3-mvc] Single table inheritance (extbase)

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Tue Dec 29 16:21:43 CET 2009

Hi Jochen,

>> Thinking about this I think at least implementing magic setters and
>> getters is a mustHave feature. I know that there is a reason for not
>> using those (comments are used for validation configuration etc.) - but
>> I fear loosing this possibility (which in worst case could be done by
>> xclassing in v4) will sooner or later stop people from using extbase or
>> flood TER even more with "enhanced_xyz_extensions".
>> Or if magic setters/getters are no option, provide a api to extend
>> objects with new setters/getters (maybe via TS) using the reflection API
>> from flow3 or something.
>
> Let's have some experiences with real use cases.

real usecase? Just imagine a extBase extension that allows
registration/editing of fe_users and you like to extend the fe_user
record by a new field, maybe customerNumber. How would you do that
without manipulating the foreign extension?

> There will always be some missing features in Extbase as Extbase is a
> bridge to FLOW3 but not FLOW3 itself.

of course - and I don't expect extbase to provide the whole featureset
(would be an insane performance killer anyway), but in v4 extending
tables of various extensions with new fields is quite common - and thus
it will also happen for extBase extensions - and most commonly for
tt_content (adding DAM support, tags, whatever). As I said - it already
might be sufficient to at least get some additional field values from
objects through magic getters/setters.