[TYPO3-mvc] extbase: implementing something simmilar to languageOverlay

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Tue Dec 22 16:34:05 CET 2009

Hi (again),

sorry for spamming this list with tons of questions, but I'm really lost
with my currently quite complex extension I try to create with extbase.

As mentioned in my other posts, I'm working on a extension that's
displaying articles of catalogs (like in a webshop, but without basket
and checkout). Those articles are derived from a generic article
database, that should also be used for other output media, like a print
cataloge, a paper ad, a flyer etc. Each article therefor can have a
different description (and some more stuff) for each media type (e.g. a
long description for the web, a shorter one for ads and flyer etc).

My question is now, how to realize that with extbase?

My plan was to completely move that data to a external table and fetch
the relevant description with a JOIN LEFT, so that the data is part of
the article itself. But does this work? What's the suggested way to do
this, so that I can use methods like "$article->getDescription" and
don't have to do something like "$article->getDataHolder()->getDescription".

Or would it be better to have those fields also natively in my article
table and do something similar like it's done with "languageOverlay" in
traditional Typo3? If so, how to do this? Simply inside my
articleRepository, or is there something else I need to do to make
extbase work correctly with this? For now I don't need objectPersistency
as no feEditing is needed.

Thanks a lot for your help.