[TYPO3-shop] Re: [Typo3-shop] advanced shopsystem

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Mon Jan 30 21:45:03 CET 2006

Volker Graubaum wrote:
> Hi Franz,
>
> the important thing is, that the extension handles money.
> A bug could be a real problem.
>
> And this wouldn't be the right way to go IMHO, cause it could also
> fall back to TYPO3 itselfs.
>
> The problem is, that you don't know what is sold to the customer.
> So I can go out, and say "the shop is an great stable thing, in all
> ways." We don't want to risk this.
>
> We are open for people who want support the system.
> But since a lot of people promise, to help we ask before, who are the
> people.
>
> " We are looking for beta testers who are able to bring something back
> to the project, work on the code, fixes, translations and so one. So the
> basic question is, are you willing to bring development back to the
> project. Can you name some parts, where you think you are able to put
> you work (or money) in? "
<snip>

Hi Volker,
Yes, the extension handles money, but the more eyes have a look at it,
the more stable it gets. And this benefits everybody.
You don't even have to publish the extension as beta - publish it as
EXPERIMENTAL or APLHA; so no one really willing to participate in
bug-tracking will use this extension in a real-world environment. And
even if somebody does and it goes wrong - well, he has been warned, and
the consequences are on him.

I think that once you publish the extension, you will get a lot of
feedback, suggestions, bug-tracking and maybe even some people willing
to lend a hand.

I'm borrowing the following statement from Elmar Hinz, who posted it on
the projects.calendar newsgroup on 28.01.2006:
<quote>
This is a consideration:

"Publish early, publish often" is one principle of open source development.
(Well not allways usefull)   In case of the calendar it may be usefull as a
chance to get more people involved into finishing it. TER knows the states
"experimental" and "alpha".
</quote>

Just my two cents,
Ro