[TYPO3-ttnews] tt_news & news in the same forum is confusing.

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Tue Jun 30 08:27:09 CEST 2015

Am 29.06.15 um 18:38 schrieb E.I. Mars:
> Am I the only one who finds it confusing having two completely different
> extensions in the same support forum. Is there no way to separate these
> into different forums?
> It would also be nice to have a clear post detailing the current status
> and future of tt_news.

it is confusing - if you are not careful.

if you want to be careful and differ between the two extensions refer
news (the newer version) as tx_news or ext:news.

but from a historical view both extensions have very much in common.
beginning from: news is the successor of tt_news.
there are just a few extensions with a key prefix tt_ which were the
first (sys-)extensions in TYPO3, later they were extracted to 'normal'
extensions. ('normal' extensions use the prefix 'tx_' inside at multiple
places: typoscript, new tables, new fields of existing tables, ...)

after many years and with some new technics inside TYPO3 a rebuild of
the meanwhile overloaded extension tt_news was neccessary, which
resulted in ext:news where ext:news is orientated on the behaviour of
ext:tt_news and so a lot of questions and answers can be transfered.

AFAIK the future of tt_news is clear: there will be no further
development. use it as is, enhance it on your own - or change to
ext:news (there is an converter extension!)

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html