[TYPO3-ttnews] Ext:news – some content related questions

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Wed Jan 9 14:22:00 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm currently diving deeper into the latest news version and I have some
questions left:

1) Is there any disadvantage in not using the internal „Text“ input of
news at all. I would prefer pure standard content, which might include
own content elements, like sliders, tabs, accordions and so on. Tried it
this way, and everything seems to be working properly. But maybe with
some caveats?

2) If not, wouldn't it be a great idea to get rid of the element? It
doubles the work needed to integrate things like lightboxes and
galleries, and it encourages users to use rte images, which probably
will never be able to be responsive. Relying on pure standard content
would probably ease further development a lot.

3) I'm working with a Twitter Bootstrap grid to get responsive features.
Therefore things like
„plugin.tx_news.settings.detail.media.image.maxWidth“ must be
„responsive“ too, depending on the placement of the plugin. „maxWidth“
doesn't seem to offer stdWrap, so it is getting rather complicated to
get it to behave dynamicly. Is there a way to achieve this, or to
reference site wide settings, like „styles.content.imgtext.maxWInText“,
„styles.content.imgtext.maxW“ or „styles.content.imgtext.linkWrap.width“
instead of hard-coding identical values into the detail view?

4) A typical news article, like on http://www.spiegel.de/, consists of
typical elements. For the detail view: a title, a big teaser image, a
teaser text and the bodytext. Plus some related files or links at the
bottom. For the list view: A title, a teaser image (or none) and a
teaser text with a „more“ link.

Currently all this is possible with ext:news, only in a pretty complex
way. Imagine you want one image to be placed as a teaser image above the
teaser text (whole width of column), and you define the first one of the
media-relations stack to be that image, you will need 4 nested if
clauses in your template to isolate it from the rest. To render the
remaining media files underneath the article you will even need more if
clauses, since you have to get rid of the banner image. Besides that you
must define the first media object used to be of banner-type to get this
working – which means, if you don't want to use a banner for an article,
you have to insert an empty media image. Try to explain this to an
average editor. Wouldn't it be much easier to add a distinct teaser
media field which is independant of the current media field? It could
offer own width and height settings and would ease the job for editors
and administrators a lot.

5) Last question: If I remember it right the old tt_news allowed
pagination in detail view too. Tried it once without big success. It was
not very stable. I'm currently writing articles which are more that 20
A4 pages long. Are there any plans to offer pagination for articles in
future?

Besides all my questions. Thanks for this extension. Keep up the good
work. I've learned a lot about Extbase from ext:news.

Regards,

Thomas Skierlo