[TYPO3-ttnews] Changing behaviour of EXT:news category restriction

Philipp Schiffmann philipp.schiffmann at hs-hannover.de
Wed Nov 14 14:09:29 CET 2012

Hello Georg,

I have a suggestion for a slightly different behaviour of the new
category restriction feature of EXT:news. (As far as I know, please
correct me if I'm wrong) right now it is only possible to enable or
disable complete category trees but the following setup is not supported:
--------
Cat 1 (user is not allowed to set this category)
--Cat 1a (user is allowed to set this category)
--------
The problem is that the DatabaseTreeDataProvider stops building the
category tree when the user can not access the given category, whether
he could set a subcategory or not.
My suggestion is to change the rendering behaviour of the
DatabaseTreeDataProvider to use $node->setSelectable(FALSE) rather than
completely deleting the categories from the view. If you find this
useful I could create a patch and push it to review.typo3.org.

Anyways, great patch and that you for that feature! :)
Kind regards
Philipp