[TYPO3-ttnews] took a look at news

Jordan van Bergen jordanvanbergen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 19:08:36 CEST 2011

Hi all and George in particular,

I finally took a look at news (locally). Reading the explanation of
Jigal:

In the Extension Manager in the 'news' extension configuration you can
activate the Import module in the menu (very clever, because after
you've imported the records you don't need the module and you can
deactivate it to clean up the menu!).
With this module you can import the categories and the news items with
a click on a button.

This was the only thing I really needed.The possibility to import
tt_news records into news. This is what I expected from news. And it
is and was already available and it works okay as far as I can see on
a simple website.

I was able to do the following:

import all tt_news records. Changed 2 plugins (list mode en detail
view) and It was working already.

So it looks promising. I will install this on the production server
right away (tomorrow it will be live ;-) for 1 website so tt_news is
gone on that website and start digging into news (locally) to learn
the same things we learned the last 5 years about tt_news.

Certainly I will miss some things and need other info to get
everything working as I already know but I will really take a close
look and tell in about 3 months if it was easy to convert to news
using a website with 2.000+ newsitems and 10+ categories with 100+
subcategories.

I assume it's okay to ask some questions about news if I can't find
the answers directly in this newsgroup or in the manual?

Best regards
Jordan