[TYPO3-ttnews] Switch to news2

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Sun Sep 18 18:06:05 CEST 2011

Hi Jordan,

Am 18.09.2011 15:10, schrieb Jordan van Bergen:
> 1. news is here to stay and tt_news is GONE !

wrong. If someone wants to invest time on tt_news this can still be
done. news is not the replacement of tt_news, it is just another news
extension (which is better in many ways but this is of course only IMO)

> 2. No import script to get all the news from tt_news to news.
wrong

> If news is going or willing to be the
> new news extenision it should at least have the import function from
> tt_news otherwise news could turn out to be a wannabe news extension
> as everyone is going to stick to tt_news because they can't
> export/import them in the new news extension.

wrong. Of course migrating is nice but you don'T start every new project
with 1000 tt_news records, do you? You start from the scratch with *no
data* or you start with an old system and you need to write your *own
importer* from old system to new system (no matter if tt_news, news or
any other cms or extension).

> About sponsoring:
>
> * I am a user that has sponsored in the past 3.000+ euro's to TYPO3
> extensions.

Thanks a lot for that!

> Another thing to say is that I have sponsored 1.000 euro to an iDEAL
> payment method in tt_product by netcreators which I didn't need
> myself. It was a contribution to TYPO3 and an online shop solution.

Please always differ! It was a contribution to tt_products and its users.

> So my 2 cents about sponsoring. I won't sponsor any eurocent into
> extensions anymore as the money goes into extension you can't trust
> will last en keep on functioning in future.

This is sad to hear. Of course it is always about trust, no matter if it
is in an extension developer or the association (as kind of head for
TYPO3). My opinion: Just sponsor the things you really need. If you
don't need something for yourself and just give away the money.

> Still I will use TYPO3 but as said I'm broadening my horizon.

I hope you have always your eyes open as espcially the web is a very
fast business.

> In the
> last 2 years 5 customers left because of TYPO3. They switched to
> Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress.

It really depends on the needs. If you always need just news and nothing
else, I bet you can be faster with wordpress and I hope you always use
the system you need. So TYPO3 would be the wrong choice if you need a
blog and know how to handle wordpress too. I don't know wordpress and
its bugs and everything, so I would maybe use TYPO3 but especially
because I know how to deal with this CMS.

> So they are some of the people
> responsible for the reduction in market share for TYPO3 in the CMS
> "business". I still don't use one of them but I will see what's going
> to happen with TYPO3 as the whole discussion about the news extension
> is typical.

It would be hard to deal with wordpress as competitor for the news
extension but of course the roadmap can be extended to features which
are needed for that. Forge is perfect for feature requests or
mails/personal meetings to talk about roadmaps.

> The TYPO3 users are faced with a dilemma. Users shouldn't have to
> think about dilemma's but how to use the CMS system in a simple and
> easy way.

First of all you should always use the right CMS. It is like cars, a
simple VW Polo won't help you when dealing with 500kg luggage and 6
people but on the same time a Hummer won't help you saving petrol and money.

So wordpress won't be fun when you want a multilanguage website with 20k
pages, editors around the world and whatever and there are certainly
customers who don't need TYPO3.

> Nothing is easy anymore because of the news extension
> dilemma / troubles.

You are always very harsh with your words. news e.g. is certainly far
easier to configure for integrators and normal editors than tt_news. So
please at least try the extension for some days before using such strong
words.

Georg