[TYPO3-ttnews] sql error in updating to tt_news 3.1.0

Simon Child simon at srchild.com
Mon Dec 26 10:48:51 CET 2011

"Jigal van Hemert" <jigal at xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1324739933.5690.typo3-project-tt-news at lists.typo3.org...

> On 24-12-2011 12:32, Simon Child wrote:
>> updating tt_news from 2.5.2 to 3.1.0 and applying database updates:

[snip]

>> identifier text NOT NULL,

[snip]

>> BLOB/TEXT column 'identifier' used in key specification without a key
>> length

> In 3.1.0 the table definition reads:

[snip]

>   identifier varchar(128) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,

[snip]

> Maybe it's easiest to drop the index 'cache_id' first and then let the
> update script (Install Tool compare options) take care of the updates.

Thanks for the response. The table definition I quoted is copy/pasted from
the error message in the backend. I got a similar error when installing
realurl as well.

I tracked it down to my using
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['multiplyDBfieldSize']=3, from the note on this
page:

http://wiki.typo3.org/Upgrade#Notes_4

varchar(384) is not valid so the table definition changes to specify text
instead (clever) but then the key definition becomes invalid - not so clever
:(

It's not a busy site so I have just removed the index for now.

I get confused about whether or not I need to use multiplyDBfieldSize but I
think I do - utf8 multilanguage site with a database which I can't change
(managed server with lots of other sites):

"character_set_client","utf8"
"character_set_connection","utf8"
"character_set_database","latin1"
"character_set_filesystem","binary"
"character_set_results","utf8"
"character_set_server","latin1"
"character_set_system","utf8"
"collation_connection","utf8_general_ci"
"collation_database","latin1_swedish_ci"
"collation_server","latin1_swedish_ci"

Thanks!

Simon Child