[TYPO3-ttnews] news2 vs tt_news -> TYPO3 CORE?

Robert Wildling robertwildling at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 09:04:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Then something that I consider crucial: Kaspar, in his versions of TYPO3,
> > always integrated a news system (and other things, too) - of course with
> the
> > comment to show how TYPO3 could be extended. But nevertheless: it used to
> be
> > a core feature that unfortunaltey got lost sometime somewhere...
>
> I don't have the same opinion there but you know that already ;)

The same opinion regarding the core implementation? Or what Kaspar did?

> a CE is a record like a tt_news record which can also be just added to
> one sysfolder.

Yes, to  a SysFolder, but only to one. Inside of tt_news a CE can be added
to more than 1 category, and that's the crucial point: more than one
category.

> of course redundant. you can just remove "text", "pictures" for your
> editors and you are fine.
>
> you can do already the FE feature as you can just override
> styles.content.get and set a new ordering instead of sorting.
>
> you can do that by using a renamed layout field or by adding an extra
> field in 1 minute - just add an additional join or where clause to
> styles.content.get

I agree with everything - with TypoScript lots of fancy things can be done.
But they are not "out of the box" elements as are the 3 CEs that are doing
redundant work. That's why one needs to implement TypoScript or again an
ext. And while there are redundant elements, others - important ones that
speed up work and meet the needs for many users out there - are missing.
(Let's be honest: there are many many questions out there about the "how can
what be done with TS").

Another example, which has nothing to do with news2, but which is an example
of a non-streamlined in inconsistent workflow, is the subtitle field. There
is one in the page setup section - and actally there is also one in the CE
section, but that one is hidden. Of course, you can turn it on with TS or
use again one of the 2 or 3 ext out there... but hey? Workflow? Speed?
Leaving it just emtpy is the faster way, and having it on the first flexform
doesn't take away much space, does it? (I will never understand why the core
team keeps this field hidden...)

So there is work to do to enable subtitles in CEs, but there are 3 CE types
that focus on blending out specific features of one and the same
interface/form?
I sense an inconsistency here: either do everything with TS and/or ext - or
let's be generous with functionality that meet the daily needs of most of
the people out there... I prefer the second way: makes everything just
faster

> what I wanna say: Adding basic features is very simple, the difficutly
> is with complex features (as the event date in news2) and IMO this is
> still easier to handle in an extension because it is just easier to get
> features into it, drop support for older versions and change things. If
> I am not interested in the extension anymore, I really don't have a
> problem to handover the key to someone else.

That's alright, but that also means that your potential successor would dig
through the while code. And for tt_news you are the first one who was
willing to do so - or am I wrong here? (What I mean is: it is not only about
handing over a key...)

>  > Hmmm...... I can't help it, but I see way more advantages...
>
> Maybe we can meet in the middle by making news2 an "a class extension" -
> something what should have been done for 4-5 already.

An "a class ext"? Can you elaborate on that idea, I don't quite understand
what you mean with that.

Thanks and regards,
Robert