[TYPO3-ttnews] news2 vs tt_news -> TYPO3 CORE?

Robert Wildling robertwildling at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 00:27:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

 I didn't intend to start the discussion like it is in this thread now
>> but it exactly shows why news should be in the core if you ask me.
>>
> (...)
>
>  I see more advantages compared to disadvantages.
>>

> I haven't seen any advantages for an extension to be present in the core in
> this thread. Maybe you can mention the advantages?
>
> Disadvantages of being a system extension:
> - slow speed of fixing bugs:
>  * you need to wait for a new bugfix release of the core. An extension can
> easily be updated in TER and is instantly available
>  * installing a bugfix release of the core is more work than updating an
> extension
> - very slow speed of adding features
>  * you need to wait for a new major 4.x version (twice a year)
> - lack of man power; the core team has no resources left to take care of
> extensions

The speed of updating an extension as being the more flexible and faster way
is definately true - just not for tt_news as we maybe all well observed.
Let's not forget that the developers of a specific may not be there all the
time...
Thanks to Georg this is changing now, and even though I have been full of
critique I again would like to express my thankfulness to and appreciation
for you! Don't get me wrong, Georg: you rock!

However: I would say that an important argument, why a news functionality
should be in the core, is that other major CMSs ship automatically with it.
This is true for news, category and calendar (at least from my experience,
which is with Drupal, WordPress, Contao (former TypoLight) and TYPO3, and I
think even some shop systems come along with such features, like Magento).

Then something that I consider crucial: Kaspar, in his versions of TYPO3,
always integrated a news system (and other things, too) - of course with the
comment to show how TYPO3 could be extended. But nevertheless: it used to be
a core feature that unfortunaltey got lost sometime somewhere...

Another thing that I experience is that the basic features of Typo3 are
already offering generous date and basic category functionality. It seems
that there is only little missing to make them even more flexible and
useable for more case scenarios. SysFolders for example: If there was a way
to add a CE to more than just one SysFolder (as can be done within tt_news),
it would immensly improve a basis categorisation funtionality.

Another example: At the moment there are CEs for Text, Text and Pictures,
Pictures only (and others); the three metioned once seem a little redundant
to me, because Text & Pictures work for every scenario: leaving features
away (like text) would just generate the pics and vice versa.
But why not create another CE that is called "news", the difference being
that the order mechanism is not by input sequence, but by date - in the FE
as well as in the BE. Combined with the the afore depicted category system
based on SysFolders, it would provide for a solution that could quite well
be called a news system, especially since the core of TYPO3 already ships
with a "show until" feature.
Another CE could be called "events", where the order mechanism could be the
manually inserted event date...

Hmmm...... I can't help it, but I see way more advantages...

regards,
Robert