[TYPO3-ttnews] news2 vs tt_news -> TYPO3 CORE?

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Sat Apr 9 16:15:09 CEST 2011

Hey,

just again: My goal is not to have as less features as possible but as
many of those which are 100% perfect running.

We removed e.g. the search and category tree again from the FE because
having it 50% done makes no sense.

> In my very case it is the discussion about the date. News have a date when
> published, but also often point to a special event, which is another date -

Dates are a wonderful example. At T3BOARD I even started a small
discussion by removing the archive date because it is the reason for
many problems of editors and integrators.

> and news entries should be categorizable and sortable by their "publishing
> date" as well as by their "event date" (a concert date, a course, a
> Television show, whatever...).

Using a different field to categorize and create a datemenu is already
possible. There is a flexform field to choose between the archive date
and the datetime field.

So extending those would already be very simple

> Just looking at the additional extensions in the TER and their download
> numbers, many people seem to need a feature like that, but you didn't see
> the point of that, so you didn't accept it to integrate.

That is simply wrong, I just can't and won't integrate everything from
the start. It is simple as that.

> Well, it just so
> happens that to me it would be the most important feature of news2, reducing
> the number of additional ext that are necessary... (ext of ext...)

There are already extensions not necessary anymore because of including
those in news2. Examples are rgnewsce (started by me but never used by
me), rgmediaimages, ...

> That is the case with news2. It is already big, so why not really implement
> more stuff that is already out there, so that there is one ext for many
> tasks...

yeah why not, but just not from the start. The extension isn't even in
TER yet ;)

> Of course this easily results in an endless endeavour, and those
> who need little features, may be overwhelmed by the feature richness... (but
> those who need little, don't really need TYPO3 anyway, so that would lead
> into the wrong direction of the discussion.)

Looking at tt_news, I really want to do that, having so many things
which seems do be just added, like so many LIST + LATEST views.

> Did you read that the developer of mbl_newsevents tried to get in touch with
> your predecessor to get a hook so he could implement a certain feature
> better?

Sorry I missed that.

> I love mbl_newsevent and I would love to see it at least totally supported
> by news2 - with all he hooks it needs. But you already told me that extbase
> and fluid function differently, so the chance to extend news2 is probably
> there anyway...

If someone wants to implement those features in news2, get in contact
with me but just don't hope that I will do it. It is not the less
interest but the missing time I got.

> But then again: if news2 shall be a rewrite of tt_news WITHOUT any new
> features, than just say so.

The goal of news2 is not to rewrite tt_news but to make a good news
system, based on new technology and with less troubles for editors and
integrators.

Georg