[TYPO3-ttnews] tt_news 3.x: seeing different subsets of categories from the BE

Claudio Strizzolo claudio.strizzolo at ts.nogarb.ageinfn.it
Thu Aug 19 12:19:56 CEST 2010

Hi everybody,
I have a question about tt_news 3.x.

The situation:
In the BE, under the GRSP folder I have two separate subfolders containing
the news. The separation is needed for administration puroposes. Let's
call the subfolders "animals_news_folder" and "vehicles_news_folder".

Each folder should contain only the news related to a subset of
categories. Let's say "animals_news_folder" should contain only the news
related to the categories "zebra_news" and "lion_news", while
"vehicles_news_folder" should contain what concerns categories "car_news"
and "train_news". On the site, each news item can be assigned to one
category only, so there is no chance of mixing things.
I defined the categories objects inside the folder containing the news it
refers too: "zebra_news" and "lion_news" categories have been defined into
"animals_news_folder", while "car_news" and "train_news" categories have
been created into "vehicles_news_folder".

The problem:
In the BE, when creating a news element in one of the folders, no matter
which one, the "Categories & Relations" tab shows ALL the categories, both
concerning that folder AND the other:

zebra_news
lion_news
car_news
train_news

This is messy. BE editors often make mistakes: i.e., when creating a news
item into "vehicles_news_folder" they relate it to the "zebra_news"
category.
Is there any way to avoid this, by making only the categories defined into
that very same folder visible through the "Categories & Relations" tab?

I seem to recall this was somehow possible in older versions of tt_news,
but I guess this feature has been changed.

Thanks in advance

Claudio