[TYPO3-ttnews] tt_news 3.0 news caching update

Rupert Germann rupi at gmx.li
Fri Jun 5 00:17:22 CEST 2009

http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-performance/2009-May/000183.html

> a thanks

since the post in typo3-performance is more about TYPO3 performance in
general here some information about the internal tt_news caching:

in general the impact of caching in tt_news is hard to mesure and depends
heavily on the environment. means: how many cacheable operations are
executed when displaying a page.

in my test-environment where I enabled all of these operations (escpecially
the evil "displayNewsCountForCotegory" in a catmenu rendered as USER_INT)
this will result in 65 req/s without tt_news caching and 110 req/s with
caching. This almost 70% increase should be considered as optimum which
will be hard to reach in real live.

the results between "internal caching" and using the caching framework do
not differ much on my normal machine (QC with 8GB RAM) but they do on
smaller machines (tested with a singleCore and 2GB in virtualbox). On these
smaller machine the initialisation of the caching framework (or possibly
the autoloading stuff from 4.3) seems to eat up more performance because
there the internal caching of tt_news performs better than the caching
framework.

greets
rupert