[TYPO3-ttnews] TT-News Slowdown

Louis Coppola lcoppola at ga-institute.com
Wed Apr 22 19:15:06 CEST 2009

Dan Osipov wrote:
> 3.0 will solve a lot of your problems. If you're looking to improve
> performance in the meantime, you can try to use some optimization
> suggestions:
> http://danosipov.com/blog/?p=21
>
> I'm not sure when 3.0 will be released.
>
> Dan Osipov
> Calkins Media
> http://danosipov.com/blog/
>
> Louis Coppola wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a problem with a slowdown on our tt_news extension
>> database requests whenever there is a list item on a page it takes a
>> long time. On the homepage of www.accountability-central.com there are
>> 5-10 list content elements which require multiple queries and
>> sometimes take over 60 seconds to generate the page.
>>
>> We have very large tt_news tables in our databases..
>> For example
>> tt_news = 72430 Rows 184.7MB and Index is 1.6MB
>> tt_news_cat = 627 rows 31.1 kB and index is 17kB
>> tt_news_cat_mm = 207915 ROWS 4MB and 4.1MB Index
>>
>> Has anyone else had experience with working with such large tt_news
>> databases and has anyone found ways to tweak the queries or change
>> something else to increase the speed.  We are starting to have real
>> issues and our article counts are increasing fast.
>>
>> Anyone have any recommendations on configuration options or
>> customizations that can increase our speed?
>>
>> Does archiving items increase the speed of the queries?  (Because the
>> items still stay in the same table etc, so would it make a difference
>> that the archive column is ticked with 1?)  By the way none of our
>> articles are "Archived"
>>
>> I am currently running through the table queries that will removed
>> expired and deleted items (anything with the 1 tick in those columns)
>> to try and shrink the table, but we are still having major slowdowns.
>>
>> Any ideas?  Will 3.0 help with this when it comes out?  When is 3.0
>> expected?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any advice
>>
>> Lou

Thanks very much for your response.  I am going to try and implement the
changes to the code as your recommend.  For the time being I have set up
different caching settings on pages which seem to improve load time.

I will update after this is complete, just haven't had the time to go
through the code like you have in your  blog post.  Does anyone have a
copy of the php file with the recommended changes implemented already to
try out?  If not, I would gladly post it somewhere once I have made the
changes to my file.

This sounds like it can really speed up the performance.  I am looking
forward to 3.0.

Thanks,
Lou