[TYPO3-ttnews] nc_ttnews_mostpopular and excludeAlreadyDisplayedNewsdoes not workreallygood together

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Mon May 12 13:56:39 CEST 2008

Hello Michael,

> Hi,
>
>> That's normal and correct behavior, and how it should work.
>> "mostpopular" extends tt_news through hooks or xclass and inherit
>> normal behavior of tt_news. So whatever combination of tt_news
>> instance you have on a page (also "mostpopular"), using
>> "excludeAlreadyDisplayedNews" will have the result that a news only
>> can be listed one time at that page.
>>
> Yes, that is clear, but not really clever.

Why is it not clever. The reason for "excludeAlreadyDisplayedNews" was to
have a better solution for "listStartId". For instance, before "excludeAlreadyDisplayedNews"
you had to tell each instance of latest/list which news number it should
start with. Which made a problem in some circumstances. In one of my installations
there are 6 instances of list and latest on the frontpage.  The first instance
shall only show one news which is defined to be more important than the others
(using a category). The next instance is the 6 newest articles, and the last
four instances are the 4 newest articles from 4 defined categories which
is not yet listed.  With "excludeAlreadyDisplayedNews" it's easy to achive,
with "listStartPid" it was impossible.

And it does what it says, nothing more and nothing less. As said before,
it works exactly the way its' supposed to.

Of course it could have a more complicated logic, for instance the possibility
to mark each instance (list,latest,popular) with the code of not showing/showing
news already displayed, but thats something I don't think it's easy to achieve.
As I understand is the feature reading from the first instance of news on
the page and publishing all news (limited with limit or latestLimit). For
second instance it's dropping all news in the first instance and so on.

And Dmitry's extension is only a hook on tt_news, and uses primarly the list
part of tt_news.

>> Turn of "excludeAlreadyDisplayedNews" on that page.
>>
> That is not possible :-| and i really like the feature
> "excludeAlreadyDispayedNews.
>
> Any other idea for a solution.
>
> Wishes,
>
> Michael

As far as I know there isn't any other solution, except of recoding the feature
in tt_news. Or, there are. You can code the FE for most popular with TS instead
of using the plugin. Using TS to get the information from the database, and
TS to present the information on the website. Some work, but possible.

And most people like the "excludeAlreadyDisplayedNews" feature, but that
doesn't mean that we sometimes can't use it or don't want to use it. It's
impossible to use when you have single and latest/list on same page, are
using default news_id, and using latest/list as a menu for the single view.
Maybe it is, but I haven't found the solution.

Therefore the solutions is often to look on the use of categories and how
the instances of tt-news on a page are working in relations to each other.

And you can always put in a feature request (in bugtracker), or sponsor Rupert
to make the necessary changes.

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no