[TYPO3-ttnews] Alternative singlePID

Lars Dyhr lars at dycon.dk
Sun Mar 9 22:05:52 CET 2008

Hi List

Thank you Rupi, for the great work!

I have found it necessary to hack tt_news a little in order to enable an
alternative singlePID. I am aware of the useSPidFromCategory setting and
the stdWrap on singlePID, but these do not seem (to me) to fulfill a use
case that I have.

The scenario is a site where tt_news is used in a regular fashion
besides in a TIMTAB (blog fashion). When you have multiple blogs on a
site and you do not want to create a category for each blogger (because
this does not seem logical from a user perspective), then you are not
able to have a list of blog-entries leading to different singlePID's
(correct me if I am wrong).  (As far as I can see the category approach
has been used on buzz.typo3.org).

A possible way to achieve this within the current code is to have all
blog-entries presented on the same singlePID. Personally I do not like
this, as it eg. makes it very hard to attach other content to a
blogger's profile presented on the singlePID view page.

My proposal for a solution - may not be the best - is that you have a
setting like useSPidFromTTNews (indicating that you will use the pid of
each news record as the singlePID), then you can just let your
news-authors store their news records on separate pages. This is not
hard to implement (approx 4 times 2 lines of code), and when this
setting is enabled in the flexform as well you can just maintain your
old setting on all existing news plugins.

So, I would like to hear what others think. Is this a unique scenario
that I have, have I approached it in a irrational way or do you think
this would be a benefit to implement in a future version of tt_news
(then I will make a feature request on the bugtracker and submit a
proposal for a diff).

Thanks for your time and devotion.

Kind regards
Lars Dyhr, Denmark