[TYPO3-ttnews] Best practice for headline news?

Frank frank.sonck at freebel.net
Fri Jun 9 01:08:33 CEST 2006

Hi,

I want to make a news homepage with 5 selected news items and 1 most
important (headline) item on top and with its own style. I've read in this
group that I can put two tt_news plugins on the page. For the headline item:
a LATEST selection, limited to 1 item. For the 5 selected items a LIST or
LATEST, limited to 5 items. Each plugin its own css and template and so on.

But how to select the news items? Let's say I have already 500 items. Today
I enter 10 new items. There is 1 that I want to make headliner. I could give
it a special category 'headliner'. And do this each day. With a LATEST
selection the newest headliner would come out. But if I want to make the
previous headliner item today's number one, for whatever reason? Then I have
a problem. In fact there should always only be one headliner item, ie the
one that I choose.
Does anyone have an idea how I could realise this?

And the same thing for the 5 selected items on the homepage. I've introduced
10 new items. It's not just the 5 last ones (chronologically) that are my
choice for the homepage. No, I pick them out. How to do this?

Fot both problems the StartId options doesn't seem usefull, because the
number of items and also number of id 's keeps growing?

And then, while thinking of picking items out in the back-end. How will this
back-end (list view) look if I have 500 items. Will it be just a very long
list / page? How to find back an item?

Thanx in advance for the advice!
Frank