[TYPO3-templavoila] TemplaVoila future...

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Sun Jun 9 15:52:41 CEST 2013

Hi Tolleiv,

Am 08.06.13 09:22, schrieb Tolleiv Nietsch:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a short overview why I think continuing TemplaVoila doesn't make
> sense anymore. You'll find the full article in my blog:
> http://blog.tolleiv.de/2013/06/templavoila-future/
>
> Please use this thread if you'd like to comment on it.

Thanks for your great work in the past on TemplaVoila. Especially if it
comes to interaction with the Core, with workspaces and localization a
real expert is needed to cover all use-cases.

Personally I'm on the "why it makes sense" side. TemplaVoila offered (an
old fashioned) but very easy way to create template mappings and get
some results without having to modify the initial template, learn Fluid
syntax or thinking in controllers and actions. Just perfect for
integrators, having a simple way to define the representation of content.

The mentioned "alternatives" like GridElements or DCE are nice but not
complete if it comes to the mapping part - a lot of things have to be
done in a very technical way, far away from actual content rendering.

One idea could be to extract or replace the mapping part ("see what you
get") to have it available for other "solutions" as well. I've
kick-started a draft some days ago on GitHub [1]. This functionality has
been there in TemplaVoila for ages...

Since TemplaVoila is used in many websites, at least the compatibility
issues with newer TYPO3 6.x versions need to be addressed by the
community (and active contributors, which are part of that community as
well).

Cheers,
Olly

[1] https://github.com/ohader/mapping