[TYPO3-templavoila] Static Data Structure Wishlist

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Jan 20 23:51:47 CET 2010

Hey guys,
I've finally been able to dive into Static Data Structures and have a
couple small enhancements that might be worth discussing. I'm happy to
write the code for them, but would like a little feedback before I get
too far along.

As a little background, I'm working on building some automation and
backend UI for Ron Hall's TV Framework. The goal is to get most of Ron's
work into static files within an extension so that updates can more
easily be managed and templates can be easily distributed as extensions.
Static Data Structures are of course a big part of this :)

The current implementation of Static Data Structures in TemplaVoila has
specific DS paths for pages and FCEs. When a TO assigns a static DS, the
entire path (relative to the TYPO3 root) is saved in the database. I'm
wondering if it would be better to only save the filename so that a
change to the overall DS path doesn't require saving each record again.

As part of the work for Ron's TV Framework, we'd like to include all of
the Data Structures inside an extension.  With the current code, I can
set TV to look for data structures inside the extension directory and
everything works as expected. The only downside to this is an end user
can no longer create their own static data structures because our
extension has hijacked the path.  It seems like an easy solution to this
would be to allow extensions to notify TemplaVoila of files (or
directories) where static data structures can be found in addition to
the existing path that TemplaVoila already reads from.

The two requests together would leave us saving the following strings in
the DB and the ability to share data structures as extensions while
still using custom data structures on a per-site basis.

STATIC:My Custom Data Structure.xml
EXT:templavoila_framework/datastructures/F1A.xml

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff