[TYPO3-templavoila] Get rid of the bad concept used/unused elements?

Franz Koch typo at fx.MINUS.graefix.DOT.de
Wed Jan 31 14:25:31 CET 2007

Hi Dimitry,

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Franz Koch wrote:
>> I can agree with that - it is really confusing for regular editors.
>> There might be a reason why this 'feature' exists
>
> Reason is simple: if you create content element using old page module or
> list module, templavoila does not always know (though sometime it can
> guess) where to put it. If it cannot determine, it puts element to
> unused. Later editor may place it appropriately.
>
> I see no problem with this concept. This is as simple as "do not use it
> if you do not like it or do not know what it is".

As Tapio mentioned - it'll be nice if it could be disabled so that it doesn't confuse anybody if not needed at all. I understand the reason and can handle it - but regular editors don't understand. Maybe it'll be easier to understand if it would be labeled different. Maybe 'not yet placed content' Desc: 'The content elements here have been removed from the page or couldn't be placed on the page automatically. To put the content to the right place on the page click on the "place content"-icon. To delete the content click the trash icon'.

Btw. I encountered a 'strange' behavior once. When editing content, switching pages and so on, a customer created a new content element on a site - but this content element was not created on the page he currently was on but on the page he was before (in unused elements of course). Only a reference had been inserted in the current page and he was confused why he wasn't able to edit it anymore. I also had this behavior once or twice. Don't know the TV version anymore.

>> Some of my editors don't even understand what references are (really
>> tried to explain). I hope that finally changes in typo3 4.5
>
> You mean references to files and images? References in tv is tv's own
> implementation.

I was speaking of TV references - the editors don't get the point how it really works or what the advantage is. But that is not a TV issue - it should only explain that many or most editors are not technical experienced and that it is hard for them to understand certain ways of doing things in typo3.

By speaking of references. Currently pages containing references to content elements don't get updated (cache doesn't get cleared) when the source record changes. Is there a way to clear the cache for those pages automatically, too? Maybe the typo3 reference-table can be used to track the TV references?

>> Currently I'm struggling with a new software our company bought that
>> has it's own, very uncommon way for doing things and I can imagine how
>> unexperienced editors must feel when the should use typo3.
>
> Well, if you have usability issues, post them to BT. They always have
> good chance to be fixed :)

Speaking of usability issues was more about typo3 in general although TV could also be improved in that direction to be a little bit more self explaining in handling. For computer freaks typo3 is quite "easy" to learn - for secretary's it's almost impossible and most editors are no geeks.

--
Kind regards,
Franz Koch