[TYPO3-Solr] 413 Status: Request Entity Too Large

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Sep 29 15:49:23 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 29/09/2015 13:55, Chuku Balentina wrote:
> Yes, it's a local installation. The solr server is on a external server
> (hosted-solr).
> I think it's a solr plugin rather than the solr server problem.
>
> The error I'm getting from the devlog is as follow:
>
> Message: Extracting text and meta data through Solr Cell over HTTP POST
> EXT: Solr
> Extra data: Exception 413 Status: Request Entity Too Large

This error normally occurs on webservers if you either try to upload
excessively large files or post a huge amount of data. If this is
necessary you can set the LimitRequestBody (Apache) or
client_max_body_size (nginx) in your server configuration.

However, since you mention that you try to index a large PDF I suspect
that you have configured EXT:tika to use the solr server for extracting
information and text from the PDF. In this case it looks like this is
the response that is returned from the solr server when you try to send
this large PDF to the remote tika instance.

For both this reason and to increase the speed I always use a local tika
instance (simply have Java running on your TYPO3 server (or locally in
your case), put a tika .jar file anywhere and set the location in the
EXT:tika configuration in the Extension Manager.
Now you don't need to send the large files anymore to the remote server.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!