[TYPO3-Solr] Japanese Search Results erratic

Robert W rewebit at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:55:01 CEST 2015

Hello,

We have Solr Installed on a site for customer in Japan. We are running the following components:
TYPO3	6.2.14
Solr		3.0.1
solrfal	2.0.1
tika		2.0.0-dev

The customer is reporting that if they search on a term such as "Kite" (「凧」) using only the noun, the search returns no results.
If they search on "The kite" (「凧に」) the search returns results. In English and German I am able to search on a single term with no issues.

Are there any special configurations needed when setting up Solr for Japanese? Can someone tell me if such a tool as Kuromoji is used? Kuromoji is an open source Japanese morphological analyzer written in Java. Kuromoji was supposedly shipped with Apache Solr 4.0 (http://www.atilika.org/)

I am hoping that someone has worked with Solr and Japanese, and can provide us a little guidance forward. Thank you for the help!

Robert