[TYPO3-Solr] Metadata from file or FAL DB?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Jul 2 21:38:18 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 02/07/2015 15:19, Olivier Dobberkau wrote:
> Am 01.07.15 um 13:52 schrieb Dennis Luemkemann:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I’m trying to better understand how typo3solr / solrfal works with
>> regard to metadata indexing.
>>
>> Let’s assume I have a PDF file, which has no metadata defined. Then an
>> editor adds the file to FAL and writes some metadata information in
>> the FAL backend. For Typo3, the metadata is now available, even though
>> it’s not contained within the file itself. So far so good.
>>
>> Now comes solrfal with tika to add the file to solr. Where does it
>> look for metadata, in the file itself or in the FAL record for the file?
>> If it looks in both, which has precedence over the other and gets sent
>> to solr?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dennis
>
> Hi Dennis.
>
> I think you touched a valid point. I am unsure if solrfal should take
> care of this. I would expect FAL to offer such a "do not" overwrite file
> meta data here.

As far as I have understood (and noticed after indexing) solrfal just
takes what FAL supplies. You can have a "best of both worlds" situation
with the extension 'extractor' [1]. This allows FAL to use Tika as a
metadata extraction service.
Now Tika can automatically extract metadata from files and let solrfal
use this for indexing.

[1] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/extractor

--
Jigal van Hemert