[TYPO3-Solr] cannot connect to solr

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Apr 7 16:08:45 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 7-4-2014 11:18, Michael Stein wrote:
> I can not connect from my typo3 to solr.
> solr is accessible under: tomcat.domain.de/solr
> language core: tomcat.domain.de/solr/#/core_en (in solr-backend)
> When I click on "initialize Sor connections" nothing happens.
> cli-command return without any comment.

If you installed the solr server part with the shell script that comes
with the extension it is configured to run on localhost.
If you run it on a different server than the webserver that runs TYPO3
you need to adjust the configuration:
/opt/solr-tomcat/tomcat/conf/server.xml contains

     <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
                maxHttpHeaderSize="65536"
                connectionTimeout="20000"
                redirectPort="8443"
                address="127.0.0.1" />

If you remove the address= part it can listen to external addresses (you
can use the firewall on the server to limit access from external servers).

You probably need to restart tomcat to let the changes have effect.
cd /opt/solr-tomcat/tomcat
./bin/shutdown.sh
./bin/startup.sh

In your browser you should get a list of cores on the server if you
browse to:
http://tomcat.domain.de:8080/solr/

In the constants you should have something like:
plugin.tx_solr {
   solr {
     host = tomcat.domain.de
     port = 8080
     path = /solr/core_en/
   }
   searchUID = 999
}

The option "initialize Solr Connections" should indeed be done after the
configuration is modified. It doesn't provide any feedback, except that
the spinner is removed after some time.
Then you can check in the Reports module if the connection succeeded.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!