[TYPO3-Solr] Hosted Solr

Stephan Schuler Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Thu Nov 8 11:08:52 CET 2012

Hey Olivier.

At first:
I don't think we will use your hosted solr offer because we do have our own hosting hardware. So we create our own solr instances there and don't need your service.

Second important thing:
Don't get me wrong! Hosted solr is really nice stuff and quite usefull for all those who don't have managed servers but just plain webhosting. And as long as it's used for search and navigation, a view ms more for latency are even better than some seconds for indexed search. So if my post might sound really sad, I don't mean it that way. I'm just really interested.

Third: Here's the question:
What's your experience with solr instances being physically at some distance to the business logic application server?

We have a static 8mbit connection (8mbit up, 8mbit down) from our office to our hosting environment which allows me to ping our solr servers with about 25ms from my workstation computer.
Our development infrastructure is here at our office, but sometimes I connect a development TYPO3 instance with one of our live solr cores. So the search and indexing traffic goes through the 8mbit connection.

It's O.K. for searching, and it doesn't really matter for indexing. But when it comes to suggestion, the user experience is quite slow. Not really slow like "a couple of seconds", but 80ms feel different than 40. It's just not as responsive as I would expect a really nice auto suggestion. That's quite obviouse because 25ms ping means two times 25ms for suggest interaction, one time for the request and one time for the response. Plus PHP rendering on top.

Could you please give me a hint what's your experience with that? I expect your hosted solr stuff working quite well as long as the requesting customer server is somewhere at the same datacenter. But is it still that amazing when solr requests have to cross datacenter borders?

So, I would really love to hear from you what's your opinion how latency between solr and hosting infrastructure influences the user experience.

Regards,

Stephan Schuler
Web-Entwickler

Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0
E-Mail: Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Website: media.netlogix.de

--
netlogix GmbH & Co. KG
IT-Services | IT-Training | Media

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG ist eingetragen am Amtsgericht Nürnberg (HRA 13338)
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: netlogix Verwaltungs GmbH (HRB 20634)
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 233472254
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Buchta, Matthias Schmidt