[TYPO3-project-seminars] seminars-search is very slow

Oliver Klee typo3-german-02 at oliverklee.de
Wed Aug 12 11:31:36 CEST 2009

Hi Andrea,

Andrea Frehse schrieb:
> we implemented the seminars-extension in april 2009 - from the TER we
> got version 0.7.3 at this time. Now after some months the website is
> filled up with a lot of courses - and the  seminars-search slowed down
> very much. What is the reason - is there any possibility to accelerate
> the seminars-search?
>
> The customer wished a lot of indivual changes, so we can´t update this
> version.

Without modifying the extension's code, there are only a few things you
can do.

First of all, I recommend updating PHP, TYPO3, and oelib to the latest
versions, which usually is a good thing anyway.

Having multiple list views on one page also slows down things a lot. I
recommend moving these list view to separate pages.

If you use special fixed filter parameters for the normal list view (eg.
events in certain categories), putting the events in separate
sysfolders, using the data source for selecting the sysfolder and
removing the categories filter will also help quite a bit.

In addition, you can move the site to another (faster) package by the
provider (for the smaller packages are Mittwald, there are a lot of
installations on one server AFAIK) or move to another provider who
provides better performance. In the past, I've had good experiences with
bitfarmers and cronIT for high-performance TYPO3 installations.

Generally, modifying the extension's code yourself moves you in a
position where you cannot update the extension to any later version,
neither the bug-fix version 0.7.4 nor the feature release 0.8.0. I
recommend to either provide your changes as patches in the bug tracker
so they can be integrated into the official release (if they're suitable
for this), or move the changes to separate extensions.

We could also invest time in performance improvements of the extension,
and we could also provide a backport of these changes for your version
of the extension. If you're interested in a contract for this, please
let me know.

Best regards,