[TYPO3-project-seminars] Best way, multiple seminars on one topic

Mario Rimann typo3-coding at rimann.org
Wed Jul 16 07:29:04 CEST 2008

Hi Tony

Tony Lush schrieb:
> Topic One
>     Presentation 1 -- date, time, location, seats available
>     Presentation 2 -- date, time, location, seats available
>     Presentation 3 -- date, time, location, seats available
 >
> Can someone enlighten me, please? Thus far I have been making them as
> separate events.

I'll try :-)
Well, I think you got the first important step: If I look at how you
have "drawn" the topics and presentations above, this is exactly how it
should be stored in the database. What you need to do is something like
this:

- Create a new event record and select "Topic record" for that event's
type. This record will contain all the statical data about that event
series (description and so on). Until now, this record will not be shown
in the list view as it's just a topic record.

- Create a new event record and select "Date record" for that event's
type. The form modifies itself and hides some unneeded fields and brings
up some new fields in return: There is a new field where you can select
the topic. At that point, you can create a relation from this record to
the topic record you created before.

Then just fill in the other fields of the date record (the date/time,
location, special information for this instance of the event) and save.
Don't worry, you don't have to type in the description again - this will
be taken from the topic record. After saving, you should be able to see
the event in the frontend.

To summarize: We have topic records that store all the static data which
is valid over multiple instances of this sort of events. And we have
Date records that store all the variable data that changes from each
instance to the next. And we have the "full event record", which
contains all the data of a single event.

I hope this helped you understand how it works.

Cheers,
Mario