[TYPO3-rte] Can't use RTE (only plaintext)

XIA IT Support itsupport at xiningxia.org
Mon Jun 23 07:29:59 CEST 2014

I have just installed TYPO3 (6.2.3) our school's server to try it, and am accessing it from a Kubuntu (13.10) box using Firefox (30.0). So far I am quite impressed with what I see, however wherever I am entering body text to a content element I only get a plain textarea, where I think I should have a Rich Text Editor.

rtehtmlarea is installed by default, I have also tried installing rte_plus, but neither seems to work. In fact when I disable rtehtmlarea I can't edit any pages anymore.

If anyone can point me into the right direction for getting the RTE to work it would be greatly appreciated.