[TYPO3-rte] TYPO3 and CkEditor

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Wed Oct 28 21:02:47 CET 2009

Zachary Davis, Cast Iron Coding LLC schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>> I had the same thought when I read this. TYPO3 comes already with a
>> page browser (aka element
>> wizard). The RTE should use it. If it isn't good enough (I see much
>> room for improvement) improve
>> it, don't add one that can only be used with a specific RTE.
>
> Gee, fellas -- it's not exactly inspiring to get the critique before any
> code has even been released. Why are you assuming that we've written
> something that's so tightly coupled to this specific application that it
> can't be reused?

Because so many folks do it that way. Great to hear that you are different.

> The extJs tree component is so ridiculously easy to use, it's hardly
> worth putting it in a stand-alone extension.

Best would be to replace the current page wizard with a new ExtJS one. I wouldn't care too much
about the inner workings of the current one. IMHO it's sufficient that the invocation stays the same
or has a compatibility layer. With that I mean, that the current URL will result in the new tree widget.

> I do think that there should be a core class that can return JSON
> representations of the page tree, and that it's way more difficult than
> it should be to render the tree in a backend module.

Agreed. And to be even more open XML as alternative. Anyway, the whole BE lacks a proper AJAX-API to
retrieve or set data via JSON or XML.

> If we had this API,
> an extension developer can write the 10 or 15 lines of javascript
> required to render the page tree using extJS.

Yep.

Masi