[TYPO3-RTE] email links in table mess

Stanislas Rolland typo3 at sjbr.ca
Thu Feb 26 06:25:10 CET 2009

Hi Katja,

> My client has much trouble updating the email links in the tables within
> the rte. The link somehow gets messed up and the output is not what it
> should, the email address looks different outside than it looks in the rte.
>
> Example:
> In BE in rte the cell seems to be empty as it should (originally there
> was email link, but it's deleted)
> In FE there is still visible an email link
> SVaarnePeramaki(at)hotmail.com
> <javascript:linkTo_UnCryptMailto('ocknvq,UXcctpgRgtcocmkBjqvockn0eqo');>
> (and actually this is messed link)
>
> So the original link stays even if the text is deleted. The problem can
> be corrected in text mode, but the client doesn't know html (and
> shouldn't have to either ;).
>
> The spam protection is probably responsible for this
I don't think so.
  - maybe it should
> be un-activated in this table system.. But how to do that?
>
> Any idea how to correct this is very welcome, thanks!
> - Katja

I think the problem arises when the link is the only element within the
cell and you select the text and cut it (with ctrl-x or the cut button),
or backspace it. The link remains even if there is no more text. If you
start to enter some text in the cell, you see the link again. I think
the same issue could arise, for example, in lists of links.

See http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=4670.

If fact, if you have the unlink button in the tool bar, you will see
that after cutting the text of the link, the unlink button is still
available, indicating that the link is still there. If you press the
unlink button, the link is gone.

I am not sure how this should be resolved. If the text in the cell is
inside any inline element, such as bold or strong, etc., the same
behaviour will be observed. The text is gone, but the empty inline
element remains.

In short, cutting cuts the text not the html markup.

This behaviour is common to all browsers, except that in case of an
empty link, IE will remove it!

Until this is resolved, the only safe way is to use unlink before or
after removing the text.