[TYPO3-RTE] New RTE extensions?

Joerg Wagner news.netfielders.de at digilog.de
Thu Nov 20 14:46:07 CET 2008

Hi Martin,

I think your position is a bit to optimistic. All HTMLArea based WYSIWYG
editors are clumsy themselves. You will always be able to create wrong
nesting of block quotes and overall corrupt HTML. It often ends up in
situations where you have to have HTML knowledge to solve problems you
encounter.

I spent a lot of time trying to make HTMLArea derivatives rock solid in
several projects (not related to TYPO3). The problem is, that you never
really succeed because the depths of the browser's editor component is
beyond your reach. Stanislas has come a long way here (and I admire him
for his work), but the problems still persist as they stem from bugs in
the HTML editor components of the browsers themselves. And Stanislas has
to provide so many checking and correcting algorithms that the RTE is a
nightmare to configure and tends to bear new issues with each solved
problem. TinyMCE is no better here as it also is a HTMLArea derivative.
You can easily bring them all to the point to produce trash HTML.

The biggest nightmare of all is pasting Word text into the editors. This
is a technique that almost all end users constantly use and it always
leads to trouble. All cleanup routines that I have seen are more or less
insufficient amd/or clumsy to use. They must often be triggered manually
(which no end user will do) to reach full extent cleanup and they loose
their teeth when other features of the RTE are enabled because they
partially rely on generally blocking tags or tag attributes that
unfortunatelly are needed for some features of the RTE.

The only true solution I can think of would be to connect the browser
embedded editor components with an HTML parser implemented in JS that
parses the structure of the generated HTML in regular intervals into an
internal representation and then rebuilds the HTML from that parsed
content, thus correcting existing problems and structural defects. I'm
dreaming of implementing this for a long time but I just don't find the
time to do it.

Actually there is at least one WYSIWYG editor that seems to follow a
similar concept. It is called Loki: http://code.google.com/p/loki-editor/
(see also the testing links in there, if you are interested)
I checked it briefly and it looks promising but still has to many
restrictions for me to really use it.

So the bottom line ist that there is still a lot of reason fall back a
simple markup language like a wiki syntax as Oliver proposed instead of
the currently available WYSIWYG editors!
- Wiki-Syntax = antiquated to use but results in clean code with no
surprises
- WYSIWYG = the modern and intuitive way - in theory - but reality is
far away from providing robust tools

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, Jörg.