[TYPO3-RTE] special character handling

James Knuckey james.faction at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 01:18:06 CET 2007

I've found that special characters are being handled a bit strangely. It's
giving me a headache...

They are inserted either using the insert-special-character button in
rtehtmlarea or pasted from Word and show fine on the front end - until you
HSC again and show up in the editor as “ (“ in HTML view)
etc - then often shown up in the front end after editing as the ampersand
plus number instead of the character itself.

Can I stop content from being parsed again before being shown in the
editor? This seems to be the problem.

Failing that, can I tell the editor to automatically replace the common
MSWord special characters such as directional quotes (“ ”
‘ and ’) and long dashes (–) with their plainer
counterparts? I'd prefer them all to be plain ones anyway just to be
consistent - and also so they show up in previews normally instead of as
character codes like these!

Regards,
James