[TYPO3-RTE] making quotations easier

Robert Markula robert.markula at gmx.net
Mon Jul 10 22:32:44 CEST 2006

Robert Markula wrote:
> Hello list,
> As far as I can see, there is currently no easy way in to mark text as
> quote ('blockquote' or 'q') in htmlarea RTE. For the purpose of
> increased accessibility as well as a clean, semantic markup, it should
> be easier to mark text as a quote ('q') or blockquote ('blockquote') -
> especially since quotations are not uncommon on websites.
>
> Three things that could make an implementation a little bit challenging:
> - <blockquote> requires that the iincluded text is enclosed with a block
> - On the other hand, the <q> element requires to be enlosed within a
> block element, e.g. <p>The following text is a quotation: <q>May the
> force be with you!</q></p>
> - Optionally quotations (be it either blockquote or q) can be
> referenced, e.g. <p>The following text is a quotation: <q
> cite="http://www.starwars.org/">May the force be with you!</q></p>
>
> Would that be worth a feature request?

Today I thought of how this could actually be implemented. A possible
scenario could be:
The user would mark the text he'd like to mark as a quote. Then he
clicks a button and a properties dialog window pops up, similiar to the
one that pops up when inserting a link. Here the user can choose to mark
the text as a blockquote (<blockquote>) or a citation (q) using tabs. On
either tab he can either click a submit button without further action or
optionally enter the source of the quote.

For the correct processing this should suffice:
RTE.default.proc {
   allowTags = ..., blockquote, q, ...
   allowTagsOutside = ..., blockquote, ...
}