[TYPO3-irre] Could IRRE be the solution for me?

Oliver Hader oh at inpublica.de
Tue Mar 27 18:14:14 CEST 2007

Hi Mario,

mc wrote:
> I just posted the following msg on a the kickstarter mailing list, but
> maybe IRRE is indeed the solution, is it? thks mario
> --------------------------
> Hi,
>
> I have two tables, say students and tests.
> By choosing database relation, Kickstarter created a third table, say
> something_mm, whose fields are local_uid and foreign_uid. Fine, you
> know. Now I wish to enrich the last table with a grade field, as to file
> that student Joe had a F on the math test. How do I do? As far as I
> understand how Kickstarter works, there is not a standard way to do so
> by Kickstarter. Am I wrong?  If I am not, is there a way out?

You're looking for a m:n relationship of objects. The relation between
students and tests shall have attributes (e.g. the grade). This
information doesn't concern one single student or one single test/exam,
but only the relationship between these two entities.

Get my diploma thesis about IRRE at the following URL:
http://typo3.org/uploads/media/Inline_Relational_Record_Editing.pdf

Read the chapter 3 to understand how IRRE could be used. The special
case you're looking for is mentioned in "3.3.3. Attributes for each m:n
relation". The kickstarter doesn't support IRRE yet, but hopefully will
soon. So you have to do this on your own or by copying the code parts
from the IRRE tutorial.

> pps  I realize now that the issue is not so much Kickstarter but TCA
> itself;
> ps irre_tutorial is not working on v4.0beta2, is it?

No. IRRE is a new feature that was first released with TYPO3 4.1. If you
want to use it, you have to upgrade your TYPO3 installation.

olly
--
Oliver Hader
http://inpublica.de/