[TYPO3-irre] Perfomance and usability issue

David Bruehlmeier typo3 at bruehlmeier.com
Fri Mar 23 20:07:49 CET 2007

Dear IRRE enthusiasts,

as you might know, the Party Information Framework makes heavy use of
the great IREE functionality. I have now created a fairly large set of
test data (>2,500 parties, >44,000 records in total) to see how IRRE is
doing in terms of performance. It's available in SVN
(typo3xdev/tx_party/tests) if you're interested.

The first thing I noticed which will need a new solution is the record
selection in the 'combined' mode. Just opening a single 'party' record
when working with the test set takes more than a minute on my laptop...
Why? Probably I should be getting a new laptop, but I guess it's also
because IRRE is fetching all possible records from the DB to build the
selector-box left of the 'Create new relation' icon.

Here's my suggestion which I would like to disuss with you:

1. Get rid of the 'Create new relation' selectorbox
2. Add a new icon under the 'Create new address' icon, sth like 'Use
existing address'.
3. Clicking on that icon fades in a new text box, much like clicking on
'Create new' fades in a new record.
4. The text box could work like Google Suggest, so while as-you-type,
possible results are fetched by Ajax.
5. As soon as the record is selected, the same occurs as in the current
version (the intermediate record and the selected record fades in to be
changed)

Additionally, it would be nice to provide an option to create a 'search
wizard' which will be displayed additionally right to the text box. The
search wizard would be called by a hook. In the address example, the
search wizard would provide a pop-up with the most relevant address
fields which can be filled out. Searching will result in a list from
which the matching entry can be selected. Very much like the element
browser from the core.

The result might look sth like this:
http://www.bruehlmeier.com/tx_party/irre_combined.png

Please let me know what you think!