[TYPO3-formidable] Prototype to Jquery - how much work?

Jérôme Schneider typo3dev at ameos.com
Tue Feb 2 23:12:27 CET 2010

Hi Gary,

I have this in mind too. I'm no jQuery expert yet, so this task has
never gone too far though.

 From what I've seen, both libs provide approx the same subset of core
functionalities, so porting from one to the other might not be such a
huge task after all. I'm sure though that it would require another
abstraction layer between Formidable and the JS-lib, whether it's jQuery
or prototype, to ensure compat with both on points that are not
equivalents. I know that some frameworks like ExtJS are achieving this
successfuly.

One more point: Formidable relies on prototype, but also on a plugin for
prototype called Base that proposes Object-inheritance for JS. To get an
idea of what I'm talking about you might have a look at
http://formidable.typo3.ug/typo3conf/ext/ameos_formidable/res/jsfwk/prototype/addons/base/test.html
(and especially at the source code of that page).

Not to mention some uses of scriptaculous (that is based on prototype).

So to sum up, I would say this:
   * would be awesome to have,
   * would need an abstraction layer to handle diffs between prototype
and jQuery,
   * some tech-points might have to be resolved first (like object
inheritance)
   * would be awesome to have (really)

Jerome