[TYPO3-project-formidable] Philosophical problem on FORMidable data management...

François SCHOSSIG fs.nospam1 at a-e-r.org
Tue Feb 13 16:10:48 CET 2007

Hello the list,

I have a philosophical question on data management with FORMidable !

The question is a simple one : who "must" be the reference for the
content of a field in each step after a submit ?

My suggested answer is :
- immediately after the submit, the reference "must" be the submitted
data,
- immediately after the insertion (MySQL INSERT command done by
FORMidable),
    - for the fields stored in the database,
       the reference "must" become the data of the database,
    - for the fields not stored in the database,
       the reference "stays" clearly the submitted data.

Argumentation :
-> if for one reason or another the data of the database is
automatically modified after an INSERT (for example by a trigger in
the database itself, if this would exist in a database driving
Typo3), a FORMidable code that would not get the information back
from the database after the INSERT, could not see those
modifications. I agree that this case is not most of the cases, but
it exists (for example to manage a time stamp 'last_modified', or to
guarantee the integrity of some data in the database...).

My answer is not the way FORMidable works. For formidable, the
reference is always the submitted data : FORMidable totally ignores
the modifications that could be done by the database automatically
after an INSERT. Each modification of the data during the FORMidable
process must be done by FORMidable.

So what is you opinion ?

Please do not argument on the necessity/silliness or whatever you
want around using or not triggers, or on the idea that no triggers
are available in MySQL. Typo3 will be able to be build on other
databases than MySQL, and we can be faced with database
administrators that wants to use triggers or whichever other
mechanism that modifies the database on each INSERT...

:-)

Thanks.
--
F. SCHOSSIG, ICT Manager