[TYPO3-doc] formal or informal in official docs

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Mar 11 14:30:19 CET 2014

Hi,

On 11-3-2014 8:59, Michael Schams wrote:
> When we address users in non-English documents (e.g. translations),
> should we address him/her in a formal or in an informal way?

Many manuals try to avoid the problem by using a passive form. So,
instead of "You can edit the record by clicking the pen icon" they use
something like "The record can be edited by clicking the pen icon".

If the reader has to be personally addressed some people might be
offended by the informal way, while nobody will really be offended by
using a formal form.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor