[TYPO3-doc] use Git, Gerrit, etc. without publishing parts of a documentation at docs.typo3.org

Michael Schams typo3ml at schams.net
Sat Sep 14 08:25:25 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

I wonder, what is the best way to work on an official documentation
(e.g. the Security Guide), use a repository at git.typo3.org but *not*
having a change merged and published at docs.typo3.org immediatly?

A use case could be: I want to write a new chapter. There are several
forge.typo3.org tickets involved. I can not complete this chapter in one
go but it will take some days, maybe weeks. I would like to start with
the chapter, process the first ticket (which means, I create a branch in
Git), write some paragraphs, submit the change to Git (which forces me
to state the ticket ID, which will be resolved by the change) and pushes
the patch to Gerrit. Then, someone (or myself) would review the first
part of the new chapter, accept it (which would merge it into "master")
and this triggers the update of the documentation at docs.typo3.org.

And this is, what I would like to avoid! :-) The new chapter should be
read when it's finished, not with just a few paragraphs. It only makes
sense, when it can be read in it's entity. But this may take a while and
I do not want to publish parts of it. Does this make sense?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Michael