[TYPO3-doc] Extending Sphinx for TYPO3: cannot compile as JSON

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sat May 11 10:58:09 CEST 2013

Hi Philipp,

>> ... the Makefile in fact works with global python installation, not with
>> the local one from EXT:sphinx.
>
> I also had the problem when I run it from the module.
>
> Anyway, now it works :)

Just FYI, trunk version of EXT:sphinx now generates command line scripts
to run the "local" Sphinx environment easily:

$ cd /path/to/sphinx/Resources/Private/sphinx/bin
$ tree
.
├── sphinx-build -> sphinx-build-1.2b1
├── sphinx-build-1.0.8
├── sphinx-build-1.1.3
├── sphinx-build-1.2b1
├── sphinx-quickstart -> sphinx-quickstart-1.2b1
├── sphinx-quickstart-1.0.8
├── sphinx-quickstart-1.1.3
└── sphinx-quickstart-1.2b1

Meaning that if you add this "Resources/Private/sphinx/bin" to your PATH
environment variable, you'll be able to run Makefile of your project
using this local Sphinx environment. Since v.0.3.0 you can easily, e.g.,
modify / update ReST Tools and rebuild your environment. Plus the EM
configuration utility lets you choose which version of Sphinx to use,
which should make the whole handling a breeze to work with :)

Of course what you wrote is that somehow you could not run the build
tools from your TYPO3 install. It would be very cool to investigate a
bit as it's very unlikely that you'll be the only one with this problem.

Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org