[TYPO3-doc] Re: Re: Updating version in documentation

Elmar t3elmar at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 22 18:51:07 CET 2013

Quote: Georg Großberger wrote on Fri, 22 March 2013 17:46
> I added this hook in the latest release, which also fixes some other
> "suggestions" I received on twitter.

Thank you. Now we have a Trigger.

> To be completely honest on this issue: this should not be automated at all!

I also think of API documentation by rendering the source code. I think it is
the most logical approach to do that by automation. Why should somebody
spend time to trigger manually, what can be automated? Automation is more
reliable in such matters.

> A documentation author should state manually / explicitly for which
> version of the software the docs have been written. If the version is
> outdated, this shows the user, that no interfaces (in the code, the cli,
> the GUI et. al) have been added or altered.
>
> If I write about some new features in a 2.1 release, I don't want the
> docs to state 2.1.3 if I fix a bug. Instead I should manually update the
> docs, if a behaviour is changed.

In manually written documentation it is a question of philosophy. On the
one hand it makes less sense to update a number of docs that haven't
been altered. On the other hand it tells: I am the frontline documentation
available at the time of bugfix 2.1.3, altered or not.

And to ask this question, how many people mind to update the version number
of their documentation? I guess it's a minority. For the majority it helps
when the version is set automatically, triggered in the moment of pulication,
the moment of the  upload to TER.

Regards

Elmar